Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Assume versus presume


Today’s nugget is assume versus presume. I assume you’ve heard the old expression, assume makes an ass out of u and me. In fact, assume doesn’t make an ass out of u and me, rather it adds an ass to u and me. But I digress. It is interesting to note for the purposes of this discussion that what would really make an ass out of me is if I presumed that you had heard the old adage, not merely assumed you had heard it; that would mean I was sure that expression ought to be common knowledge in a normally intelligent and aware individual, and that would make me an ass, or at least kind of a dick. The difference then is relative certainty. With assume, you’ve got no proof, but with presume, you’d be an ass to need more proof than you have. To take the expression further, if indeed assume did make an ass out of u and me, presume would make an utter twatwaffle out of u and me, seeing as presume has a much higher bar of indubitableness. With so gracious an explanation now in your recent memory, I presume you now know the difference between assume and presume.

4 comments:

  1. Most recently a client assumed he had insurance on his property, even though I emailed him several times informing him that he did not. After a plumbing issue caused $30,000 in damages, he presumed that I am the one that has to deal with it. Fortunately after speaking to my attorney, he was made to realize his assumptions and presumptions were incorrect. I presumed that the relationship might be seriously compromised since he initially blamed me due to his assumption that this was somehow my responsibility. Fortunately, he apologized and he is still my client.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a solid understanding of the distinction between these two closely related words.

      Delete
    2. Where are all the other contributors?

      Delete
  2. Even though the client apologized profusely and sincerely, I have a hard time assuming that the relationship will be the same, since being exposed to a most irrational behavior. If it happens again, I can only presume that I most likely will tell them to take their business elsewhere, which I was on the verge of doing until yesterday's meeting.

    ReplyDelete